Planning to live out your life at home requires just that: planning. That means making adjustments that can make your life easier, even if they’re less attractive and present a constant reminder that you’re getting older. However, once you get used to them you’ll bare notice the eyesore — but you will begin to appreciate how much they help you function and remain in your own home. Here are some ideas:
- Install grab bars near showers, bath-tubs and toilets
- Replace throw rugs with non-slip matts
- Rearrange furniture that blocks the flow of traffic, such as ottomans or chairs
- Install handrails on front, back and side porch stoops
- Add nonslip treads to patios and decks
In addition, fix or replace any uneven or broken floorboards as well as loose bricks, crumbling cement or rotting pieces of wood on outdoor steps. Once you get used to these changes, you will begin to appreciate how much they may help you function and remain in your own home.